This change reflects the fact that we have not had a nursing home for 9 years, and instead looks to what we do today and will do in the future.
SAN ANTONIO JEWISH SENIOR SERVICES
SAJSS addresses the needs and enriches the Lives of Jewish Seniors in the San Antonio area by creating and fostering connections between the individual and the broader Jewish community. SAJSS offers programs directly and through partnership grants to other organizations whose programs benefit area Jewish seniors. SAJSS programs include:
TRANSPORTATION: Transportation is available to all Jewish Seniors who need rides to attend Jewish religious services or social events, or other community activities. To schedule transportation for yourself or someone you know, contact Lety Vargas at 210-616-4811.
JEWISH LIVING: SAJSS provides programs and facilitates discussions on Jewish history, culture or religious themes at area retirement centers where at least five Jewish residents live. We also schedule clergy from area congregations to conduct Shabbat services at some of these locations for seniors who might not be able to attend services at the congregations.
E.D.G.E. (Engage, Discover, Grow, Explore) SOCIAL AND/OR EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS are offered regularly throughout the year.
- October 17 & 19 Free Medicare Open Enrollment (MOE) (8:30am–4pm) benefit counseling with AACOG counselors, 8:30am – 4pm, at SAJSS. Seniors can explore their Medicare options with experts and sign-up for plans that are best for them. By appointment only, call 210.477.3275 to schedule.
- October 20, Mini Mah Jongg Tournament (9am-12pm): Come out for a Mini Mah Jongg Tournament and win cash prizes. SAJSS, Jewish Family Service, and the Barshop JCC host a morning of mah jongg fun in the Senior Room at the Jewish Community Center. Sign up early to save your spot. Game on! Must register at the JCC website.
- November 2 & 16 Free Medicare Open Enrollment (MOE) (8:30am–4pm) benefit counseling with AACOG counselors, 8:30am – 4pm, at SAJSS. Seniors can explore their Medicare options with experts and sign-up for plans that are best for them. By appointment only, call 210.477.3275 to schedule.
- December 3, Afternoon at the McNay (4-7pm): Place your reservation to tour the McNay Museum and the exhibition of SA artist Chuck Ramirez whose photos are funny yet poignant. No-host dinner follows.
- January 21, 2018, A Great Day at the Garden (12:30-2:30pm): This event that focuses on nature is for the whole family to enjoy in the new Discovery Complex at the San Antonio Botanical Garden. With activities and art stations, a taste & smell station, and interactive entertainment, guests can have lunch with a view, and also explore the brand new 8-acre addition to the garden. It’s a FRE intergenerational program that will be fun for all ages! Must RSVP to attend, register here.
THE WANDERING JEWS TRAVEL PROGRAM has three trips scheduled for 2018. The “secret sauce” that makes these trips different is that all will have explicitly Jewish content not readily available elsewhere. They are:
- Cruise aboard a Princess cruise ship to Eastern Caribbean islands where Judaism first came to the New World (PLEASE NOTE: This cruise has been cancelled due to storm damage and related uncertaintanties.)
- Jewish Heritage River Cruise on the Danube River from Budapest to Prague (booking now)
- Charleston, SC, where Judaism predated the Revolutionary War
Call the SAJSS office for a brochure, 210-616-4811. And for more information or to book your trip contact Tina Dinesman (email@example.com) or Barb Sellers (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Spoil Me Rotten Travel, 210-670-5305.
COMING THIS FALL! COMPASS Information & Referral Service for seniors and their families and caregivers. More information soon!
NO-INTEREST LOANS FOR JEWISH SENIORS through a partnership with Hebrew Free Loan-San Antonio. SAJSS worked with HFLA-SA to create a loan fund specifically for Jewish seniors who need financial support. This fund allows for 0% loans with reduced monthly repayments for a variety of purposes that are important to seniors, such as healthcare, accessibility modifications or other repairs to their homes, transition/moving expenses, etc. For more information, contact HFLA-SA, 210-736-4352.
PARTNERSHIPS & GRANTS: In addition to programs it provides directly, San Antonio Jewish Senior Services has a grant program that extends its commitment to Jewish Seniors by investing in programs that are aligned with our mission of addressing the needs and enriching the lives of San Antonio Jewish seniors.
Our grant program focuses on making an impact on San Antonio Jewish seniors by working hand-in-hand with other organizations, programs, and initiatives that support this mission. We create partnerships with these entities that provide programs and/or services that benefit Jewish seniors.
As long as eligibility criteria are met, SAJSS is always open to partnering with others for programs.
[Click Here] to learn more about partnership grants and to download guidelines and application forms.